HeadStart is the first Accelerator Program in Australia focused on supporting the development of sports technology start-ups.
Developed by the ASTN in 2014 HeadStart began the process of identifying and evaluating best-of-breed sports technology and IT start-up opportunities.
By the end of 2015 a total of 14 early stage businesses have participated in the HeadStart Program.
Participating businesses have been supported over a minimum 6 month period by a combination of mentoring from sports technology experts, facilitated workshops by subject experts and entrepreneurship education from leading US business schools.
Since the inception of the Program in early 2014;
- at least 4 businesses have raised seed or follow-on funding,
- at least 2 businesses have won domestic or international awards for their solutions
- at least 2 businesses have secured international distribution deals for their products
Participating businesses in the program have included;
- Sports protective wear product
- Electronic skateboard product
- Gamified fitness system
- Wearable technology & communications device
- Athlete tracking solution
- Cloud-based emergency management records platform
- Online corporate governance evaluation tool
- Cloud-based agriculture management & traceability solution