Announced in September 2016 the ASTN was one of the Round 1 Grant Recipients under the State Government of Victoria’s LaunchVic Program https://launchvic.org/. LaunchVic was established to support a globally recognised, thriving startup culture, and supports entrepreneurs to develop and grow businesses.
Under the partnership the ASTN is recipient of a $280,000 (ex GST) grant over 2 years to support;
- mentoring of 15-20 high-potential Victorian-based sports tech start-ups
- development of a ‘Sports Tech Start-up Playbook’ to provide the tactics and strategies for start-ups to become ‘investment-ready’
- a sports analytics championships in November 2017 and November 2018 in Melbourne (partnering with PSCL Global http://www.psclglobal.com/ )
The first intake into the mentoring program commenced in January 2017. This included;
- a staff rostering, training & accreditation platform for large-scale sports events
- a sports refereeing/officiating app
- an endurance nutrition solution
- a female protective/performance wear innovation
As of May 2017, three of these start-ups have secured seed investment, whilst the fourth start-up remains self-funded and is cash-flow positive. A second intake will commence in July 2017.
Any start-ups interested in applying for the mentoring program in future rounds should contact Tarik Bayrakli (email@example.com), Executive Director of the ASTN.
The ASTN thanks the State Government of Victoria and LaunchVic for their ongoing support for our sector, and ensuring it remains as one of the epicentre’s for sports tech development globally.