The ASTN’s new Sports Manufacturing Export Development Programme supports Victorian-based organisations involved in sports product development, manufacturing and design to take advantage of opportunities in the $300 billion global sports consumer products market. There are 5 components of this Programme to be delivered over a 3 year period which includes the Sports Export Readiness Program.
This 12-month Advisory, Education & Connections Program helps sports product businesses prepare for growth in new global markets. It provides access to unmatched sports product, manufacturing, distribution, export and investment expertise in Australia, and ensures businesses have products (and a business) ready for global market access ie scalable, innovative, consumer driven products.
Facilitated by the ASTN, and supported by the State Government of Victoria, this Program aims to help like-minded business owners build the skills and adequately prepare for a successful export drive.
Delivered via a combination of face-to-face meetings with an experienced advisor and themed workshops, the Program provides access to a unique mix of experts that offers the perfect sounding board for understanding and addressing new export opportunities involving sports product innovation.
Aim of the Program
- Understand the fundamentals to successful sports product export development.
- Adequately prepare for a successful export drive within a 12-18 month period.
- Help develop the management skills and competencies required to support export growth.
Who should participate?
Victorian-based sports product, manufacturing and design businesses that expect to export within a 12-18 month period. This includes committing a budget and resources to implement their export plans into the desired market/s.
For the purposes of the Program eligible businesses include those involved in development, manufacturing and or distribution of sports apparel, footwear, protective wear, sports equipment, wearable / measurement technologies and sports facilities and surfaces.
The 2nd year of the Program will commence on 15th June 2016 and will be managed by advisors with extensive experience in sports technology, manufacturing development and / or exporting. Subject experts available through the ASTN network will also facilitate workshops and provide guidance.
Some successes from 2015 participating organisations (guide only)
- International distribution deal secured for protective wear product and preparation of US market entry strategy.
- International partnering deal in sports analytics
- Seed and follow-on funding secured for three participating companies.
- National awards for supply chain solution and preparation of US market entry strategy.
- Trialling / piloting deal with an international sports governing body.
Assistance provided to 2015 participants (guide only)
- Assistance in preparation of pitch decks for investor presentations
- Review and assistance with grants and R&D tax concessions applications.
- Exposure to ‘Lean Launchpad’ methodology for researchers to implement and improve commercialisation outcomes.
- Assistance with product development, design and merchandising plans.
- Assistance in preparation of international market entry plans.
- Connections into markets (ie. up and down supply chains for product validation and procurement.)
- Connections to service provider experts eg IP, R&D, distribution, international market entry.
- Exhibition and industry intelligence opportunities.
12 month Program – Exclusive Sports Product / Manufacturing / Export Masterclass Event (full day – 15+ expert panelists), ‘Lean LaunchPad’ Workshop, 6 lunch panel sessions with subject experts, 6 one-on-one sessions with advisors plus development of an Action Plan for each participating organisation.
Cost: $5,500 for the year (valued at $12,000+). Your investment includes an annual ASTN membership.
Number of participants: This program will be restricted to 10 participating organisations per annum over 3 years.
Expressions-of-interest: Expressions-of-interest to participate in this Program close Friday 10th June 2016. Register your interest with Craig Hill (email@example.com) or contact 0408 390 930 for more information.
Key Workshop & One-on-One Themes:
- Intellectual property and patenting
- Show me the money – R&D, grants, funding and investment readiness
- Business structures for expansion
- State and Federal Government export assistance
- Market research – exploring new markets
- Understanding manufacturing and supply chain issues
- Identifying and developing partnership opportunities in the sports product supply chains
- Marketing & Distribution – PR, digital, ambassadors
- Growth models for international expansion ie distribution, licensing
- Case studies in sports product exporting
- The Lean Launchpad and its application to successful sports exporting